Red5 vs Cirrus (Stratus)
*this is not a comparison between the two Flash Media Servers (Red5 and Adobe Cirrus formerly known as Stratus) and it is not applicable to any other software but RVC 5.x (CRC 2.8+, 3.x, 4.x, RVC 4.x, 5.x) and prior versions!
Red5 versus the free Adobe FMS Cirrus (Stratus)
Adobe Cirrus (Stratus) pros:
- RTMFP (Real Time Media Flow Protocol) means the connection is p2p (peer-to-peer) and your bandwidth usage stays at a minimal level
- no headache to install and maintain your own Flash Media Server ( Install Red5 on cPanel )
- no (or minimal) problems at connecting users, more stable
- free (read terms at adobe.com)
Adobe Cirrus (Stratus) cons:
- while synchronizing with the locally hosted database, there is a delay that may cause never finalized connections. The RVC script has different settings to keep this number on a minimal level. If you play around a little bit with the default settings (connection related settings in config.php), you can achieve fairly stable and fast connecting time (lower numbers usually mean faster connection but may cause higher server load, the defaults are for shared hosting with low resource usage).
- slower connections between users and some lost connections (this is not the Cirrus server but the synchronization in RVC, the Adobe Cirrus service works excellent!)
- RVC is connecting people faster, much faster! (the reason: both RTMP and MySQL are locally hosted, the sync is instant)
- you get more users with a considerably faster and more enjoyable service
- the Red5 server will go down on a daily basis until you fine tune and configure it properly. This may take weeks but worth it…
- the Red5 server will go down even after properly configured (sometimes), you will need a running service to test if the RTMP is accepting connections and alert you when it does not.
- you will need bandwidth, a lot
VideoWhisper.com last edited by
We managed to get best reliability and speed with a combination of both for P2P Video Chat.
All sessions connect to Red5 which handles logical interactions (user addresses, text chat, buzz). With the connections open, logical interactions are very fast.
Streaming is done by P2P with RTMFP reducing red5 load and bandwidth consumption.
When direct P2P connection is not possible due to user network/firewall settings the streaming is done trough a flash media server. The site is available to users that can't connect on standard chat roulette sites because of their firewalls or internet providers.
Yes, this sounds like a good idea! We also started with something similar last year but things went in a different direction, now with Adobe Flash Player 10.1 almost everything can be passed trough RTMFP. However if the above works without issues, it seems to be a brilliant workaround that (comparing Red5 with Cirrus speed) may be the fastest solution.
morneau last edited by
Does RVC provide the feature that VideoWhisper.com has now, or will you implement in the future? "When direct P2P connection is not possible due to user network/firewall settings the streaming is done trough a flash media server. The site is available to users that can't connect on standard chat roulette sites because of their firewalls or internet providers."
Yes, you can choose between RTMFP (Cirrus) or RTMP (Red5). The described method of having interactions (username, chat, etc) over Red5 and Audio-Video stream over Cirrus (p2p) is not implemented. The third option, to fall back to Red5 RTMP when p2p connection is not possible would divide users in two groups (ones using p2p and a small group without p2p who can see only their small group members).
morneau last edited by